Family Favorites..Home Canned Pineapple


If you find whole pineapple on sale and don’t want to use it right away, try canning it.
The recipe I used was from the Ball Blue Book. You may can it in a light syrup, or pineapple juice. I chose pineapple juice as I then have the option of using it for a recipe that is sweet or in a recipe calling for unsweetened pineapple like a stir fry. 
  Really your time is mostly in peeling and and coring the pineapple. The rest is very simple to do. I did not do slices as I did not have wide mouth jars, but I think that would be great to have on hand.

 Canned Pineapple

Scrub pineapple. Peel, remove “eyes” and core. Cut into ½ inch slices or lengthwise into wedges or 1 inch chunks. Make a light syrup or using juice, simmer pineapple in liquid of choice until tender. Pack hot pineapple into hot jars, leaving ½ inch headspace. Ladle hot liquid over pineapple leaving ½  inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust 2 piece caps. Process pints 15 minutes, quarts 20 minutes in a boiling water bath canner.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea.
    About how much juice did you use

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen, I must confess I don't know now, I just bought two cans of unsweetened pineapple juice and didn't write down how much I used. It was easy to do and handy to have on hand. Also cheaper than buying it already canned as I only do it when it is on sale.

      Delete
  2. I know this is probably a lot healthier than the canned. I like pineapple, but don't use a lot because the hubby is not a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is any healthier I just can it when I have fresh pineapple I am not going to use up or pineapples are a good sale price.
      I sure don't have any problem buying already canned at the store.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.