In the Kitchen... Potato Mashers, Ricers and Pastry Blenders


 If you leave the world of instant mashed potatoes you will need a potato masher. I have and do use my mixer for this but if I have a small amount I will use a masher or often my ricer. 
 There are more than one style of each and each has it’s own merits. I like a ricer and own both styles. However my metal one is a older model and does not have the extra discs as shown with this one. The green and white one which I use the most works very well and is easy to clean and change discs in. I use it for more than potatoes as it does a good job of pureeing fruits and cooked vegetables. 
 Of the potato mashers I have both styles and prefer the wire one, really just a personal preference as they both work well. They will give you fluffy potatoes and do a good job with fruit and vegetables.  
Sue uses a Pastry Pro pastry blender sometimes to mash with. I haven’t tried that but she says it works well for her and she only needs one tool. Also, of course, you can use them for a pastry blender.  My blender is a simple model with a sturdy handle and sharp tines that works well with cold shortening or lard.  

 Here again you don’t need to buy the most expensive one out there unless maybe you are feeding a large group every day. Check the kitchen tool aisle in your local supermarket, hardware store or stores like Target or Walmart. I like to look for this type of thing at thrift stores as I find the older kitchen tools are better made and often are very inexpensive. 

Here are a variety of recipes that use pastry blenders or potato mashers:

Sweet Potato Pie

Mashed Potato Salad

Crispy Cheesy Potato Waffles

Chicken Stew with Dumplings

Pie Crusts for the Freezer

Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake

Hot Cheese Drop Biscuits

Fig Bars  The best!



6 comments:

  1. I have a ricer and have never used it. My sister brought it to me...
    I use the old fashion potato masher and a new one that we found that I saw Ree Drummond (pioneer woman) using. It's neat and breaks up meats and stuff good.
    It's called a zing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to look up a zing, thanks. I do use my ricer as we liked them that way and I save on the calories if I don't add the cream and butter.

      Delete
  2. I have a fancier ricer like the one in the top left photo. And I have the traditional masher and pastry blender that are in the bottom left photo. I like the traditional masher best (never tried using the pastry blender) because it's quick and easy.

    Although I do like how smooth and creamy riced potatoes get, I use my ricer only for holidays with a crowd. I can't see hauling it out for just two potatoes. I wouldn't save anything on the calories, either, because I would be even MORE inclined to top my fancy riced potatoes with sour cream and butter--or lots of gravy! Dang it--now I want a bowlful of mashed potatoes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am going to end up having mashed potatoes for supper tonight. Just sounded good and it is finally cooling off here in Iowa.

      Delete
  3. I have both styles of potato mashers as well and use them often. My wire type I've had since I married in 1973. Another thing that's helpful is using the blade-type pastry blender to chop boiled eggs for egg salad. I can pulverize 8 eggs in just a couple of minutes. I've also used it to chop ripe strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to get out my pastry blender and use it more often I can see. Sure didn't think of using it for eggs or strawberries. Thanks for the tips.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.