Self-rising Flour...Lemon Tea Bread



My husband loves lemon nut bread, so I wanted to try this recipe from the "Martha White Southern Sampler" cookbook because I want to keep my self-rising flour turned over and I had buttermilk on hand.  
It’s simple to make, and turned out a beautiful loaf.  I made mine in a 4 x 10” quick bread loaf pan for more square slices.  It turned out beautifully, with only slight cracking on top.
 I did take it out before the shortest baking time, as it was already done, probably because of the narrower pan.  Check your loaf with the “toothpick” test or an instant-read thermometer should read 190° to 200°.
I poke some holes over the top of the finished bread with a thin poultry skewer while it's still hot before pouring over the lemon juice/sugar combination so it soaks into the loaf.
This is perfect for coffee-time; extra good with real butter on your slices.  It freezes well in slices separated by double waxed paper, and thaws in the time it takes to make your coffee.
I 
        
                             Lemon Tea Bread
  2             cups  flour, self-rising -- sifted  (8 ounces)
     3/4      cup  sugar
  1             tablespoon  grated lemon peel
  2             large  eggs -- lightly beaten
     1/2      cup  buttermilk
     1/3      cup  salad oil
     1/2      cup  pecans – chopped (or walnuts)
  2             tablespoons  sugar
  1             tablespoon  lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350°.  Grease bottom of 4 x 10-inch loaf pan or an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan.  Line with parchment, and grease the bottom and 1" up the side of the parchment and the end of the pan.
Sift together flour and 3/4 cup sugar into mixing bowl and add lemon peel.
Add eggs, buttermilk and oil; stir to blend.  Stir in nuts.  Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Stir together 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.  Pour mixture over hot bread immediately after removing from oven.
Cool in pan 10 minutes.
Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
For easier slicing, wrap loaf and store overnight in refrigerator.  Slice.
If using all -purpose flour, add 1 tablespoon baking powder and 3/4 teaspoon salt with flour.

5 comments:

  1. I try to always have buttermilk on hand. We can purchase here Amish Buttermilk from Amish Country. It is loaded with the golden buttery goodness flakes.I like to add it when I make bisquits. Your lemon bread sounds good, so fresh. I wonder if you could use lemon verbena in there? Or maybe lemon verbena flavored sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks good. I will make it and share with my daughter and son-in-law! She loves anything lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the kind of cake that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did make 3 loaves! Super easy. I think I would like a little more sugar and more lemon next time but it is a very good tea bread! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it as we did. We're quick bread fans at our house. If you're talking about more syrup top pour over the loaf, I would agree that I might try half again as much next time.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.