Cornstarch...GF Brownies

 For a sweet chocolate treat try these Gluten Free Brownies. While I seldom bother to bake Gluten Free just for me, these brownies from Martha Stewart do not call for any expensive special ingredients which is mainly why I don’t bake GF very often. Everything in them you are likely have in your kitchen cabinet. 
 What intrigued me was the use of cornstarch instead of flour. Well I want to tell you that it worked great! They are not a cake type of brownie but a moist, chewy type. I didn’t frost them and neither did Martha, they are just the right amount of chocolate and not so rich that your teeth ache. 
 The original recipe calls for pecans or nuts of your choice which I didn’t use but will try the next time I make them. 
 Do make sure you beat them long enough the batter should pull away from the pan, I did use my mixer but the recipe calls for beating them by hand. Also watch closely near the end of the baking time. I thought mine were not done in the center and baked them a tad longer than I should have. Simple to make and tasty. If you need to eat Gluten Free or just like brownies give these a try.

Gluten-Free Brownies
Ingredients
 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for pan
 1/3 cup cornstarch (spooned and leveled)
 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
 1/2 teaspoon table salt
 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
 3/4 cup sugar
 1 teaspoon GF vanilla extract
 3 large eggs
 1/2 to 1 cup chopped toasted pecans  (optional)
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter an 8-inch square baking pan and line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides. Whisk together cornstarch, cocoa, cinnamon, and salt. In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter and chocolate in 30-second increments, stirring each time, until melted and smooth, about 2 minutes. 
2. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Stir in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Add cornstarch mixture and stir vigorously until mixture is smooth and begins to pull away from side of bowl, about 2 minutes. Stir in pecans. 
3. Pour batter into pan and smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 35 minutes, rotating pan halfway through. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Using paper overhang, lift cake out of pan and cut into 16 squares. 
Do use the parchment paper or foil as it makes them easy to remove from the pan. Note that they are cooled in the pan and than taken out and cut

6 comments:

  1. These are delicious! You don't have to need a gluten free dessert to love these! It made me glad I'm on Myrna's taste tester list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. They are good even though they look messy in the photo.

      Delete
  3. Below is a comment by Denise but I accidentally deleted it. (Sorry Denise) I am reposting it and answering it at the same time. They are good and the texture also. I had given up on brownies as anything made with GF flour is really dry.

    I'm intrigued about the texture of these brownies and the pancakes you posted earlier this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for answering, Myrna and for sharing your new recipes. Until making your lemon custard recipe, I don't recall using corn starch to replace flour. It's interesting that the brownies made with the starch is less dry than other gluten free recipes you've made. I'm glad for you that you once again have brownie and pancake recipes to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the pancakes more than the brownies but it is nice to have them again.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.