Small Recipes...Homemade Biscuit mix Cheesy Onion Biscuits – Two Biscuits


I love my Homemade Biscuit Mix from a Martha White recipe.  I use lard and self-rising flour to make the mix and always have some in the refrigerator.  It’s perfect for making just a few biscuits that I bake in my toaster oven…here is my version of cheesy onion biscuits that makes only 2 nice biscuits plus a scrap biscuit…for the cook, of course! 
What I have discovered with the mix is that I can weigh out my mix, and add a tablespoon of milk for each ounce to make just the amount I want.  No leftovers, and they bake quickly in my toaster oven.  Perfect for eating with soups or main dish salads.
I have put the mix recipe at the bottom of this post.                    
                  Cheesy Onion Biscuits – Two Biscuits
  2        tablespoons  chopped onion
  2        tablespoons  shredded cheddar cheese
  3        tablespoons  milk
  3        ounces  Martha White Homemade biscuit mix
Place onion in a small microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until tender. In a small bowl, stir the cheese and onion into the Homemade Biscuit Mix. Stir in milk with a fork just until moistened.
Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out into a rectangle 2” x 4”; cut into two biscuits with a 2” cutter.  Press scraps together in to a patty the same thickness as your biscuits.
 Place the biscuits and scrap biscuit 2 in. apart on a baking sheet; greased or lined with parchment.
Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
In a toaster oven, try 425°.
                 
Martha White Biscuit Mix
                        1 QUART MIX
  1           pound self-rising flour -- sift first (4 cups)
  4          ounces  lard or shortening -- 1/2 cup
Cut shortening into flour with pastry blender or food processor until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature (If using shortening).  Refrigerate if using lard.
Mix will keep well up to 4 months on the shelf if using shortening or in the refrigerator if using lard. 
Recipe weighs 20 ounces; 1 cup recipe weighs 5 ounces.                                
                

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.