Small Recipes...One-Pot Chuckwagon Chow



Here’s a recipe from "Taste of Home Down HomeCooking for 1 or 2" that’s similar to others I’ve made, but it’s great to have it already cut down to just the right size for two.                    
I made it in my 8 inch diameter, number 5 Griswold cast iron skillet.  It’s a twenty-minute meal that’s basically an easy can opener type recipe for me, I already keep frozen chopped onion and pepper in the freezer, and I patty up hamburger for the freezer, and two of them were the right amount for this recipe.  I freeze the leftover beans and tomato sauce flat in freezer bags, and keep them in my use-it-up stash in the freezer.  You can sub in frozen corn or a half can of golden hominy for the corn.  
Serve it with a few crackers and a small side salad and you have a hearty, high-fiber meal in a hurry with no leftovers.  This is one way to use a half can of kidney beans left from Bean and Bacon Salad for 2.  

              One-Pot Chuckwagon Chow  
     1/3       pound  lean ground beef  
  1              small  onion -- chopped 
     1/4       cup  chopped green pepper 
  1              garlic clove -- minced 
  1              can  whole kernel corn -- (7 ounces) drained 
     3/4       cup  cooked or canned kidney beans -- rinsed and drained 
     1/2       cup  tomato sauce 
  1              tablespoon  chili powder 
     1/8       teaspoon  pepper 
In a large saucepan, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the corn, beans, tomato sauce and seasonings; cover and cook 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through.
Yield:  Makes 2 servings
Each serving:  488 Calories; 17g Fat (30.8% calories from fat); 32g Protein; 54g Carbohydrate; 21g Dietary Fiber; 57mg Cholesterol; 480mg Sodium.

4 comments:

  1. Without the corn it's a lot like the chili I make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even add corn or hominy to my home canned chili if I need to stretch it.

      Delete
  2. My kind of food! Looks so good.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.